Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Central Park & Grand Central Station

There we still so many things that we wanted to see & do, but there was simply no time to do it all. We took the blue line to Lexington Avenue, I wanted to have a look at “Bloomingdales”, but once we got there Wahid was impatient to get out and told me “not to be long”. So I said lets leave, because I really do not like it when I’m told to hurry. So we left. Maybe better as well, no temptation to buy anything. We took the underground to 110th Street were we entered Central Park. Yet again, the weather was beautiful and I even could take my jacket off for a while.

Skyline of New York from Jacqueline Kennedy Onnasis Resevoir


The park is not that wide, but very long, it would take most of the afternoon to walk the park al the way to the south end. We walked part of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, where you have a beautiful view of some of the buildings on the other side of the park. We went to the Belvedere Castle and the Turtle Pond. We stopped off at the Boat House, where we had a bite to eat, not at the restaurant that was a little above our budget. But at the cafeteria they had some reasonably priced things to eat. I would have loved to have dinner there on a nice summer evening! There is a photo shoot going on in the park with these teen Japanese kids dressed up as brides & grooms. It is kind of funny to see their jeans & boots underneath their gowns.

After that we strolled to the South Entrance of the park, were they were preparing to get the ice rink going for the season. After that we walked to 59th Street & Columbus Circle were we took the Orange line to Rockefeller Centre & The Empire State Building, but these are so freaking big, that you can not see them properly from that close. We ended up in a gadget store and I went on the internet for a bit and Wahid browsed around to buy more stuff. I phoned a friend of our up from North Dakota, she was in the City as well, visiting her daughters Erin & Megan and we made plans to go out for a meal together. As it turned out her hotel was really close from we were and we only had to walk one block or so. We asked for a nice restaurant in the neighbourhood and the desk clerk gave us the name of a Thai restaurant “Lemongrass”, only a short walk away from the hotel. The food was absolutely dilish; we had not had a Thai in so long. It occurred to us that we have Cissie twice in Texas this year, we stayed at their house only a month ago or so and now we were in New York at the same time. After dinner we said our goodbyes and walked to Grand Central Station, we did not have that much time left, so I only had a quick look around. I have to say it is Grand when you enter the building, but it is just a façade. I could not find the staircase that they used in The Untouchables. I think they replaced that with escalators. We arrived around ten to ten back at the bus stop and an hour later we were back home. Although I did like the city, I have to say that after spending almost 4 days there, I’m glad to be on the move to a national park again, were I can hear the sound of nature again.












No comments: